Yes, you read that right. Thanks to the WebSub spec, Realtime RSS is not only possible, but wildly scaleable if implemented correctly. Yeti is making an attempt at that.
It will not only enable Yeti to:
- fetch posts in realtime from the publisher (your favourite websites)
- update content stores soon after posts are published
- spend less resources on polling publisher websites
- enable you to subscribe to your favourite publishers
- receive near-realtime notifications1 from these publishers
- have the app update itself in the background when the system determines so
The implications of the above are grand.
If the above holds true, which by means of this post: I am looking for feedback on the above, I not only save money, but enable you (and myself) to get real time notifications from publications which really matter to me. As since Yeti will be paid there won’t be any add-on cost you’ll have to pay to get this. It’s all part of the package.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter in the comments section below.
- You can choose which publishers to receive notifications from, just like you would on Youtube. ↩