Elytra Build 110 is now available to all beta testers. This is a sizeable change-log so get ready.
- The Publisher title is now included in the Article view. This is very useful when browsing through articles in the Unread or Bookmarked section.
- New Subscriptions interface. You’ll see it once during the beta. You won’t be charged for the subscription when you install builds through Testflight.
- Off by default, you can now toggle to have Article cover images show up in the Feed interface. To manage this setting, open the App’s settings > Image Handling, scroll right to the end. Articles without cover images will continue to behave as they have always done.
- Improves handling of folders when deleting a feed from a folder or deleting the folder itself.
- When importing your OPML file, the File Picker Interface will now allow for selection of files saved with the
.opml extension as well.
- Improved the functioning of the OPML interface for imports and exports.
- Improved system for managing unread counts on the Feeds interface.
- Code blocks now support dynamic type.
- Removed the subscriptions interface from the Introduction interface. The subscriptions interface will now popup once after you add your first feed.
- Tapping the search button in the Article’s Interface will dismiss the Search bar if it’s already active.
- Fixed a memory consumption issue caused when really long articles are opened.
- Fixed an issue where the cover image of an article would render twice, once as the cover image and the other as an image inside the post.
- Fixed padding of code blocks.
- Fixes height of rendered tweets.
- Rotating to a new orientation no longer causes a black out in the Article interface.
- Fixed a rendering bug for new lines and extraneous spaces in paragraphs.
- Fixed handling of push notification taps.
- Fixed the width of the search bar (in the Articles interface) on iPads.
- When you update the theme on the iPad and if an article is open, the article will refresh to accommodate for this change.
- Fixed the appearance of the New Feed and New Folder inputs.
- Version: 1.0.0
- Build 110.
- Pipe: PBeta-04
Sometime last week (or perhaps the week before that), I made some minor changes to how RSS feeds are polled. This made the “engine” more efficient by running in period bursts so as to not block your requests from taking priority.
I did however change something: The older variant used a callback system while the newer variant used Promises. I did not have an integration test to check how this change worked with the WebSub mechanism.
Earlier today when I published the Public Beta 3 notes, I was wondering why I did not receive a push notification. Almost 6 hours later I hit my, “ah ha!” moment.
I have patched the issue and now have an integration test for this incase I break it in the future.
If you are subscribed to Push Notifications for the Elytra blog, you should have received one. If you didn’t, you should totally subscribe.
Elytra Build 104 is now available on Testflight and I’ve added another batch 100 testers to the list. If you still haven’t received your invite, this could be the week.
I spent a small part of the weekend fine tuning things on the server side so it can accommodate more feeds and serve more people without needing to be upgraded to a bigger size.
This update includes a lot of visual fixes and some underlying fixes to how Elytra functions.
- Haptic feedback has been enabled now that I have had a chance to fine tune things. This was previously available in the private beta but disabled during public beta release.
- Opening and closing folders no longer causes the weird jumpy animation.
- Micro-blog posts are now handled in a graceful manner with content snippets shown instead of only the Blog’s title and author.
- Added a Reset App option under the Settings.app if you need to externally reset the app. If you do this, your account information will be erased from the device. You can still reload the same account by setting up as usual and then swapping the account ID. Please note your account ID if you plan to do this.
- Improved the text that is shared when you long tap a linked header to bring up the Share modal.
.ico favicons correctly.
- The Recommendations Interface in the previous build (103) stopped showing any feeds. This was a regression and has since been fixed.
- Fixed a crash where some images came with empty urls and the app tried to load them.
- Various minor improvements to the Onboarding flow.
- Fixed a dead-lock situation when you try to add a feed (which provides multiple feed options) that you already have in your list.
There is a known bug when you open the Import/Export OPML interface and later dismiss it. The overlay persists and causes the screen to be dimmed. A restart fixes this issue. I haven’t been able to trace it or reliably reproduce the issue.
- Version: 1.0.0
- Build 104.
- Pipe: PBeta-03
The second Public Beta of Elytra is now available on Testflight. I have also sent out the 3rd batch of invites to everyone who signed up.
To clarify how I’m sending out invites:
Every few days, I pick a batch of 100 (in order) and add them to the Testflight Public Beta list. This is allowing me to ensure that the server can handle the load. So far, it’s been smooth sailing.
Also, thank you to everyone who sent me emails reporting bugs and suggestions to improve the app. It’s been of immense help. As always, if you run into any issues when adding new feeds, send me an email with the link and I’ll take a look.
Here is the change-log for the latest build.
- Favicons are now less rounded based on feedback where circles are usually reserved for people’s photos & avatars.
- Improves Voice over support for long paragraphs by breaking them down into their distinct paragraphs.
- Introduced a subtle load-in animation for the Articles interface.
- Now when searching in an article, you can press the
ENTER key to jump to the next result if one is available and the
ESC key to dismiss the search context.
- Fixes an issue where tapping on the cancel button in the Subscription Interface would lock up the process. The continue button no longer remains disabled.
- Fixed the text errors on the Subscription Interface.
- Fixed a crash that would occur if you navigated to Unread, then back and then to Bookmarks in quick succession.
- Fixed handling of URLs without the http: prefix.
- Fixed a Voice Over issue where it would only read the first sentence and the first word of the second sentence in a Paragraph.
- Fixed search highlighting on iPads
- Version: 1.0.0
- Build 103
- Pipe: PBeta-02
A warm welcome to all the new Public Beta Testers.
Now that the cheesy stuff is out of the way, let’s get to the meat of this release.
- Added a “Open in browser” button to the Article interface.
- Account Deactivation
- Implemented Accent colour.
- Recommendations interface
- Improves the tinting of the refresh control for dark interfaces or after switching the theme.
- Improved the kerning for the System font for the Article’s title.
- Vastly improved GIF performance and memory consumption thanks to the FLAnimatedImage library.
- Fetching an favicon across all the available images (opengraph, apple-touch-icon and the favicon itself) based on weights. Apple-touch-icon is given a higher preference over the favicon now.
- When adding a new feed from the app, typing in http/s is now optional.
- When a feed has multiple endpoints, the list now uses head truncation so you don’t accidentally add the comments feed.
- Fixed adding feeds from the share extension.
- Fixed the position of the popover (iPads) for the long tap interaction on feeds and folders.
- Added a default handler for the browser scheme when one isn’t selected.
- Fixed an issue where all buttons would remain in the disabled state if the cancel button in the Purchase interface was tapped during first run.
- Searching within an article should now work as expected. There is a known issue on iPads where the highlight doesn’t align with the characters you’re searching for.
Fixed a rare crash that would occur when dismissing the Unread interface while a page was loading.
- Version: 1.0.0
- Build 102.
- Pipe: PBeta-01